You are here:

Campus sunset

Frequently Asked Questions


Academic Record:

Yes, a student is generally entitled to view and obtain copies of her/his academic record through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The process for obtaining records can be found at the following website: (Last reviewed on Dec. 14, 2011)

Attorney Presence at Meetings:

No. The attorney is not entitled to attend the meeting. You may permit the employee or student, in your discretion, to bring a supportive person to the meeting (friend, spouse, parent, etc.). In many cases attorneys are entitled to attend University hearings but this does not apply to meetings between faculty and students or between an employee and his/her supervisor. Contact the Office of General Counsel if you have questions. (Last reviewed on Dec. 1, 2011)


The constitutional right of free speech may be exercised in any public space on the University of Utah campus. However, the University imposes reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on demonstrations and other free speech activities. Location restrictions include areas that are not public, such as offices, labs, classrooms and patient care facilities. Manner restrictions include requirements that free speech activities be orderly, peaceful, safe, and respectful of property and others' rights. The University prohibits demonstrations that interfere with traffic, facility accessibility, work, classes, housing or events. Camping is not allowed on University property for any reason, including demonstrations. University policies also provide special rules with regard to demonstrations near patient entrances to University health care facilities. Consult University Policy 1-007, Utah Administrative Code R805-3, and the Office of General Counsel with specific questions. (Last reviewed on Dec. 1, 2011)

Due Process:

Under the Due Process clause, University students generally have a right to expectation of continued education. In general, students should be aware of the University's expectations of them and made aware when their performance or conduct has put them on a path that may lead to suspension or dismissal. Such awareness can come through a variety of mechanisms such as the Student Code (Policy 6-400), student handbooks, course syllabi, or other written or verbal communications. When a proposed decision to suspend or terminate the educational process has been made, that process must be "careful and deliberate" and generally the student should be notified of the reasons for and have a chance to contest the decision. These rights are reflected in University of Utah Policy, particularly in the Student Code. Some exceptions may apply and the Office of General Counsel should be consulted for specific questions. (Last reviewed on Dec. 1, 2011)

Educational Accommodation:

Please contact the University of Utah Center for Disability Services at 200 South Central Campus Drive, Room 162 (Olpin Union Building), or by telephone at (801) 581-5020. You may also wish to visit (Last reviewed on Dec. 14, 2011)

Legal Advice:

The Office of General Counsel's (OGC) client is the University, and OGC provides legal services and advice regarding the University's legal matters to University administrators responsible for those matters. OGC may provide legal advice and services to students regarding legal issues that affect their work for the University, such as publication copyright issues, but generally does not provide legal advice and services for personal matters. (Last reviewed on Dec. 14, 2011)

Jury Duty:

You should comply with the instructions you have received in connection with the call to service. You should consult your employment or academic supervisor immediately to make arrangements for any absence related to your jury duty. (Last reviewed on Dec. 14, 2011)

Sexual Harassment:

Sexual harassment is unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when: it is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment, education, living environment or participation in a University activity; submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as the basis for or a factor in decisions affecting that individual’s employment, education, living environment, or participation in a University activity; or such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s employment or educational performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work, education, or living environment, or participation in a University activity.

All instances of alleged or suspected sexual harassment should be immediately reported to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA) located in Park Building Room 135 at (801) 581-8365.

The University of Utah is committed to an environment free of sexual harassment for all students, employees, and participants.  As provided in University Policy 5-107, any person who believes there is or has been sexual harassment should contact any of the following:

  1. cognizant academic chair of the department or the dean of the college within which the conduct occurred;
  2. the immediate supervisor or director of the operational unit within which the conduct occurred;
  3. Human Resources;
  4. directors or deans of Student Affairs or Student Services; or
  5. the OEO/AA located in Park Building Room 135 at (801) 581-8365.

No.  The University has a non-retaliation policy under which all individuals who initiate or participate in an OEO/AA proceeding are protected, including witnesses who cooperate with an OEO/AA proceeding or individuals who make a request for disability accommodation.  If you feel as though action has been taken against you for having initiated or participated in an OEO/AA proceeding, you may file a complaint with the OEO/AA.

Yes.  The Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA) offers training to any University-affiliated group or individual for department meetings, faculty meetings, student groups, and academic classes.  For more information, please contact the OEO/AA at (801) 581-8365.

Last Updated: 11/10/17